Welcome to the Education section of the website. The Fire Education materials and resources provided here have been designed to support educators – early childhood, primary and secondary – to explore a range of issues associated with fire. As many communities in Gippsland have faced, and will continue to face a range of challenges, disruption and loss associated with fire, the topic of Fire Education is becoming increasingly recognised as an important element of teaching and learning. Even though communities can experience fire differently, the materials and resources here will support Gippsland teachers to confidently engage in fire-related issues and topics with their students.
- Cultural burning and the Australian Landscape Associate Professor Michael-Shawn Fletcher, explains the history and importance of cultural burning as part of Australian landscape management.
- Disaster Resilience Conference National School Award celebrates initiatives to strengthen community resilience to disasters and is open to all public and private pre-school, primary and secondary schools.
- FireThrive is a “newly created not-for-profit group with a collective interest in addressing social and environmental issues through human-centred design, storytelling, and interactive technology. We want to help every Australian build their resilience to worsening bushfire and climate conditions, through immersive storytelling across many formats”.
- Five characteristics of effective bushfire education presentation by Dr Briony Towers
- The Flight of the Hummingbird video depicts the story of a hummingbird flying through the forest after a fire has came through, she carries single drops of water to the raging fire, doing what she can herself to fight the flames
- Fire and Rescue NSW education resources has a range of tailored fire safety and educational programs that they deliver through schools for varying key stages. Access to supportive materials such as lesson plans, worksheets and other resources are available here.
- Bushfire Education teaching and learning resources for early childhood settings, primary and secondary schools
- Bushfires ABC Education features ABC educational resources and supports the teaching of Science as part of the Australian Curriculum
- Bushfire Education Resources by national parks NSW are working on new education resources and a new excursion and incursion program about bushfires
- NSW Rural Fire Service resources for primary school teachers
- Bushfire Lesson Ideas from Scootle
- Bruce Pascoe: Aboriginal agriculture, technology and ingenuity Chapter 13 – FIRE
- Bushfire Ready Schools Survive and Thrive, a bushfire message from Strathewen Primary School is a claymation video made to creatively engage students in learning about fire behaviour.
- Disaster Resilience Education Resources to support disaster resilience education
- Pinterest Lesson Ideas
- Resources for teachers School Recovery Tool Kit This document is one in a series of resources within the Children’s Futures: Positive Strategies for Bushfire Recovery project. The resources have been developed with advice from members of the Australian Child and Adolescent Trauma, Loss and Grief Network (ACATLGN) after consultation with principals and teachers
- Bushfire Education Foundation Inc This University of Melbourne study is relevant to all hazards, this video supports individual and community trauma recovery and preparedness
- School-based bushfire education: advancing teaching and learning for risk reduction and resilience
Curriculum Materials: Fire, Climate change & Indigenous Australians by Cool Australia